When we are asked to undertake an assessment for new clients, very often we find bleach in their cleaning cupboard or under the sink. Bleach is one of the most common cleaning products used throughout homes and businesses alike but did you know that it’s not a cleaning product at all, it is actually a stripping agent. Whilst this works brilliantly at removing stains, it is also stripping the surface off whatever you use it on. This is why when you get bleach on fabric, the colour is affected, the bleach is literally stripping the colour out of your clothes!
We regularly see the damage that prolonged use of bleach has on surfaces. Many business owners say that they use it to ensure that things are hygienically clean, they are not aware of the damage that it is causing. We clean toilet bowls, sinks and work tops that feel grainy. This effect is caused by years of using bleach and over time breaks down the top coating, making the surface porous and brittle and more likely to stain, completely defeating the object of what you were trying to achieve by using bleach in the first place! Damage to your surfaces is however only one of the reasons we don’t use bleach
Bleach can react with other substances too, if other cleaning products are being used in your sinks and toilets and then bleach is added, it can create a chemical reaction, potentially releasing toxic fumes that can lead to serious health issues. Bleach can actually burn human tissue, exposure can cause irritation to the eyes, mouth, lungs and skin. People with eczema, allergies, asthma and other respiratory problems can being seriously affected by the chemical make up of bleach. You can imagine what prolonged exposure to bleach could have on your team and also to our cleaners. “A study by Harvard University and the French National Institute of Health and Medical Research (Inserm) found that using the products just once a week could increase a person’s chance of developing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) by nearly a third. COPD is an umbrella term for a series of conditions affecting the lungs including emphysema, chronic bronchitis and chronic asthma.
Previous studies have linked exposure to disinfectants with breathing problems such as asthma, but it is believed this is the first piece of research to identify a link between disinfectants and COPD”
. Read the full article here….
To prevent over exposure to harsh cleaning agents we use cleaning products that are derived from natural products. Research has shown that citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons have amazing cleaning properties and from years of testing many different products ourselves we agree, some of the best products are those based on citrus compounds.
There are many safe alternatives for removing stains and cleaning your surfaces. We have created our own brand of cleaning products “Crystal line” the de-greaser in the range is particularly good. We can supply these to you even if you are not one of our customers. If you are purchasing cleaning products at the super market we advise that you look for non-chlorine based products and opt for an oxygen-based whiteners.
Remember there is ALWAYS and alternative to bleach.